Seven people escaped fast-moving blaze that started as a kitchen grease fire and heavily damaged a McMillen Street home this afternoon, fire officials said.
The three-alarm fire was reported shortly before 4:30 p.m.today in the 500 block of McMillen Street in the Hornerstown section of Johnstown. When the first crews arrived at address within minutes, the single-family home was completely involved, police Sgt. Patrick Goggin said at the scene.
A second and third alarm brought reinforcements, but the primary focus was saving neighboring homes, just a few feet away, fire Chief Anthony Kovacic said.
“It was a big fire and a really quick fire,” Kovacic said, surveying the scene from behind the burning structure.