I was always told there are two things in life that are certain: Taxes and death. However, now there is something else.
If you are a resident of Lower Yoder Township and you own a home in which no one lives, utilities are not hooked up, the home is winterized and you have fire insurance on the vacant property, you have two choices:
* They can condemn your home and have a code adviser recommend that it be torn down.
* You must pay a yearly garbage fee of $132.
What an abuse of executive power. Lower Yoder has a ordinance which states that, legally, garbage fees have to be paid. The supervisors will not consider changing this ordinance. I have asked and was shut down.
My house has been empty since 2009, after my son became disabled and had to move in with me. The house has new siding, roof and windows. It’s clean and well-kept, so I have paid a garbage fee for this property for four years now, instead of paying for food, clothing and gas for my car.
We are in a recession. Money is tight, especially being a senior and on a fixed income. Lower Yoder supervisors are living in the past and are seniors themselves, but receive income from our taxes.
We need new, young supervisors, and our laws and bylaws need to be updated for the current century and to help seniors and all other citizens.
President has earned a second term
President Obama deserves to be re-elected because he:
* Saved America from recession. We went from 800,000 jobs lost per month to more than 5 million new jobs.
* Passed Obamacare, which eliminated pre-existing health conditions and got rid of the doughnut hole for seniors ($600 savings/year).
* Ended the Iraq War.
* Killed Osama bin Laden.
* Saved the automobile industry.
* Gave the middle class an income tax break.
* Passed the Lilly Ledbetter law – equal pay for equal work for women.
* Unemployment is 7.8 percent, lower than when he took office.
* Saved $716 billion from Medicare, hospitals and drug companies without cutting benefits for people and extended Medicare until 2020.
Mitt Romney is a bad choice because he:
* Wants a $5 trillion tax cut and will not say what deductions will pay for it.
* Favors funding cuts for Planned Parenthood.
* Will privatize Social Security – end Social Security as we know it.
* Favors overturning Roe v. Wade, the law that gives women a choice.
* Wants a voucher premium plan for Medicare, which would cost seniors $6,000 per year.
* Said his job is not to worry about the 47 percent in America who do not pay federal income taxes – that includes the military, senior citizens and single mothers.
* Said “Let Detroit go bankrupt.”
You decide and vote.