BY RUTH RICE
A 90th anniversary Homecoming Sunday will be held during the 9:30 a.m. worship service Nov. 25 at Johnstown Grace Brethren Church, 535 Napoleon St., Johnstown.
The Rev. Rodney Lingenfelter, pastor of Altoona Grace Brethren Church, will speak.
Tom McCreary and Pastor Terry Gindlesperger will serve as worship leaders.
Lingenfelter was pastor at the Johnstown church from 1992 to 1999.
Johnstown Grace Brethren was founded Aug. 25, 1879, as a German Baptist Brethren Church.
The original church was located on Somerset Street along the Stonycreek River, and was dedicated Oct. 30, 1880.
On May 28, 1884, the church was incorporated as the Brethren Church of Johnstown, and in 1911, the building was improved, enlarged and rededicated.
At a business meeting held March 26, 1919, it was evident a new building was needed, and the church voted unanimously to seek a suitable location.
Two months later, the trustees were authorized to purchase lots at Napoleon and Dibert streets, where the current building now stands.
The cornerstone was laid on the third Sunday in July 1922, and the church was dedicated during the week of Dec. 2-9, 1923.
Two mission churches were planted in 1922, Second Brethren in Moxham and Third Brethren in Morrellville.
Johnstown Grace Brethren was then known as First Brethren.
In 1939, the church changed national affiliation from the Ashland Brethren in Ashland, Ohio, to the Grace Brethren Fellowship in Winona Lake, Ind.
On April 24, 1985, the church officially became Johnstown Grace Brethren Church.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.