The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

March 5, 2013

VIDEO: Fire destroys garage in city

The Tribune-Democrat

JOHNSTOWN — A malfunctioning battery charger hooked to a car is likely the cause of a fire this afternoon that destroyed the vehicle and the garage, fire officials said.

The fire broke out at 1:47 p.m. inside a garage on Sunday Street in the Walnut Grove section of Johnstown, city fire Chief Anthony Kovacic said.

Flames had fully engulfed the garage by the time firefighters arrived, Kovacic said.

The garage collapsed about 10 minute later, the chief said.

No injuries were reported.

Smoke from the blaze could be seen across the city, at times threatening to restrict visibility along busy Route 56, the Johnstown Expressway.