The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

Local News

June 29, 2013

Fire destroys Portage area home

PORTAGE — A Portage area family of four was left homeless Saturday when fire destroyed their home on Plane Road, about one mile north of Portage, a fire official said.

The family’s cat perished in the fire, reported just after 12:30 p.m.

The fire started when grease in a pot caught fire and spread, said Portage fire Chief Jamie Miller.

Firefighters quickly knocked the fire down, but the blaze had a quick head start due to the grease, he said. There is insurance. The Red Cross is helping the family, Miller said.

Volunteers from Lilly, Cresson, Blue Knob, Loretto, Summerhill Borough and Ebensburg responded to the fire. 

Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.

Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News
Poll

What is the biggest key to reducing gun violence in Johnstown?

Tackling the area's drug problem.
Controlling folks moving into city housing.
Monitoring folks in treatment centers and halfway houses.
Tougher sentencing by the court system.
More police on the streets.

     View Results
House Ads