The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

Breaking News

Local News

June 29, 2013

Fire destroys Portage area home

PORTAGE — A Portage area family of four was left homeless Saturday when fire destroyed their home on Plane Road, about one mile north of Portage, a fire official said.

The family’s cat perished in the fire, reported just after 12:30 p.m.

The fire started when grease in a pot caught fire and spread, said Portage fire Chief Jamie Miller.

Firefighters quickly knocked the fire down, but the blaze had a quick head start due to the grease, he said. There is insurance. The Red Cross is helping the family, Miller said.

Volunteers from Lilly, Cresson, Blue Knob, Loretto, Summerhill Borough and Ebensburg responded to the fire. 

Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.

Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News
Poll

Do you think pet obituaries should be included with death notices?

Yes, my pet is considered a member of the family.
No, pet obituaries are inappropriate.
Pet obituaries should be placed on a different page in the newspaper.
     View Results
House Ads