The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

June 29, 2013

Fire destroys Portage area home


The Tribune-Democrat

PORTAGE — A Portage area family of four was left homeless Saturday when fire destroyed their home on Plane Road, about one mile north of Portage, a fire official said.

The family’s cat perished in the fire, reported just after 12:30 p.m.

The fire started when grease in a pot caught fire and spread, said Portage fire Chief Jamie Miller.

Firefighters quickly knocked the fire down, but the blaze had a quick head start due to the grease, he said. There is insurance. The Red Cross is helping the family, Miller said.

Volunteers from Lilly, Cresson, Blue Knob, Loretto, Summerhill Borough and Ebensburg responded to the fire. 

Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.

Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.