Chief: Man lost foot in train accident
The man who was injured when he walked into a moving train Friday in Ferndale remained hospitalized Tuesday.
Jonathon Lopez, 25, of Roxbury, lost his left foot in the accident, borough police Chief Arthur Boring Jr. said.
Lopez was talking on a cellphone as he was walking from Moxham to Ferndale when the accident occurred around 1:15 p.m., the chief said.
The accident happened on Ferndale Avenue near the Johnstown city line.
Witnesses said the train’s whistle was sounding and the signal light at the crossing was flashing, Boring said.
The engineer applied the emergency brake in an attempt to stop the train, but it was too late, Boring said.
The train was traveling about 10 mph, he said.
Driver hits car, tree in Meyersdale
MEYERSDALE – A borough man will face numerous charges after wrecking his vehicle in town, hitting a parked car and tree, state police in Somerset said.
Harold W. Miller, 65, lost control of his vehicle at Center and Large streets and crashed near the Sheetz convenience store on Tuesday, police said.
Miller was taken to Meyersdale Medical Center for treatment of unknown injuries, police said.
Teen had knife at school, police say
ROCKWOOD – A Somerset area teen faces juvenile charges after state police said he was found in possession of a knife on Rockwood School District property last week.
The incident occurred Jan. 15 when the 14-year-old boy was in the junior-senior high school, troopers from Somerset said. He was charged with possessing a weapon on school property.
The case will be handled in Somerset juvenile court.
PennDOT issues black ice alert
PennDOT is asking motorists to slow down and keep an eye out for black ice on road surfaces.
The warning came Wednesday after a portion of Route 22 in the Cresson area was closed for a short time following five or six minor crashes, all related to spots on the roadway that refroze.
“On these very cold mornings or into the night the possibility of refreezing does exist,” PennDOT spokeswoman Pam Kane said.
Fire damages shed housing furnace
CARROLLTOWN – A faulty chimney serving a coal furnace for a duplex in the 100 block of North Main Street is being blamed for starting a fire late Tuesday.
Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the fire, confining it to a shed that housed the furnace and was attached to the duplex, Carrolltown fire Chief Bob Illig said.
One of the occupants chose to stay with relatives for the night, and the other remained in the residence after firefighters cleared smoke from the duplex, Illig said.
Volunteers from Patton also responded to the alarm.
Assisted living home offers free soup
A free soup event will be held from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. today at McCullough House, an assisted living home for seniors at 500 Cheney Oak Drive, Johnstown.
Anyone who may be interested in McCullough House is invited, administrators said.
Beef barley and cream of broccoli soups and beverages will be served. Tours of the facility will be available.
For more information, call 255-2213.
Students, staff send gifts to troops
BELLWOOD – A service project of the Bellwood-Antis PTO and Myers Elementary School sent 600 stockings to service members stationed throughout the world during the holidays.
In addition to the items donated by students and staff, many area businesses made monetary donations to cover the cost of shipping.
Leftover funds were used to buy 55 phone cards so service members could call home.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.