The 2013 AAABA Ambassador applications are now available to young women at least 17 years old prior to Aug. 5.
The applications can be picked up at most area high schools or the following locations: The Galleria information booth in Richland Township; Greater Johnstown Convention and Visitors Bureau, 111 Roosevelt Blvd.; or the Chamber of Commerce or United Jewelers in downtown Johnstown.
The deadline to apply is May 11.
This year’s tournament will run Aug. 6-10.
Head Start, Pre-K signups scheduled
Applications to enroll children ages 3-5 from low-income families in Community Action Partnership of Cambia County’s Head Start and Pa. Pre-K Counts programs will be held at the following sites:
• Today: 10 a.m. to noon, Highland Community Library, Richland Township, and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Northern Cambria Library.
• Friday: 1 to 3 p.m., Lilly Library, and 2 to 4 p.m., Colver fire hall.
• Tuesday: 10 a.m. to noon, Coopersdale Homes Community Room; 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Gallitzin Library; and 2 to 4 p.m., Oakhurst Homes Community Room.
• Wednesday: 10 a.m. to noon, Prospect Homes Community Room, and 2 to 4 p.m., Solomon Homes Community Room.
• April 25: 10 a.m. to noon, Fountain of Life Church, Conemaugh; 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Patton Library; and 2 to 4 p.m., Works of Deliverance Church, Moxham.
• April 30: 10 a.m. to noon, Seventh Ward Ambulance, Cedar Street, Johnstown; 1 to 3 p.m., Uncle Phil’s General Store, Van Ormer; and 2 to 4 p.m., Christ Centered Community Mission, Market Street, Johnstown.
• May 1: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Johnstown City and Salix Head Start Centers.
• May 2: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Johnstown City Head Start Center, and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Admiral Peary and Northern Cambria Head Start centers.
• May 7: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Gallitzin Head Start Center.
Parents are invited to find out what is new with the free preschool programs and see if they meet eligibility guidelines.
They should bring income verification, Social Security numbers, child’s birth certificate, health insurance card and immunization record.
George’s to take part in Record Store Day
Record Store Day, which celebrates the culture of the independently-owned record store, will be marked locally Saturday at George’s Song Shop, 128 Market St., downtown Johnstown.
George’s Song Shop is on record as the oldest record store in the United States, established in 1932.
It boasts five floors of vinyl, with more than 1 million 45 rpm records in stock.
The shop opens at 9:30 a.m. and owner John George plans to stay open until 4:30 p.m., or as long as he has to in order to serve his customers.
Information: 539-4884 or www.recordstoreday.com.
Red Cross to observe volunteer week
The American Red Cross is urging the public to give blood as well as become a volunteer.
National Volunteer Week is April 21-27.
At the Red Cross, volunteers constitute around 94 percent of the total workforce needed to carry out the organization’s humanitarian mission.
For an appointment or to find other blood donation opportunities, call (800)
RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or go online to redcrossblood.org.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.