The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

March 17, 2014

Shootout suspects arrested

Randy Griffith

JOHNSTOWN — An accused shooter and one of three injured in a May shootout in Hornerstown were arrested Friday with a stolen handgun.

Anthony Lamont Sanders, 22, and Daron Jamar Shamburger, 26, both of Johnstown, were picked up while sharing a taxi in downtown Johnstown, the criminal complaint says.

City police were responding to a reported burglary in progress at about 11:30 p.m. Friday in the 300 block of Gray Avenue in the West End, the court papers said.

Cambria County emergency dispatch notified police that a taxi had just picked up fares in the same block of Gray and was headed to Ash Street.

Officer Brian Stevens saw a cab  passing the Public Safety Building on Washington Street and made a traffic stop, he reported.

Inside, he found Sanders and Shamburger with a handgun at Sanders’ feet on the floor of vehicle, the court papers say. The .380-caliber Smith & Wesson was listed as stolen by Richland Township police.  

Each was charged with possessing a firearm without a license and possessing stolen property. Shamburger was also charged with illegal possession of a firearm by one convicted of certain crimes.

Bond is set at $40,000 for each defendant, with preliminary hearings scheduled April 10 before District Judge Michael J. Musulin.

Online court records show that Sanders had been released on bond in November while waiting trial on charges in connection with the May 6 gun battle in Hornerstown that sent Shamburger, Sanders and two other men to hospitals.

Sanders is accused of shooting Antonio Kresic, 19.

Kresic was found along Messenger Street bleeding from the upper arm and chest area following the May 6 shootout, police said.

Sanders also was shot.

Police later discovered that Shamburger and Derik Lawrence “DC” Carothers, 17, had been shot and fled to Pittsburgh.

A resident of the 300 block of Ebensburg Road in the Prospect neighborhood, Sanders was charged in May with criminal attempted homicide, two counts of aggravated assault, conspiring to commit aggravated assault, discharging a firearm into an occupied structure, reckless endangerment and carrying a firearm without a license.

Shamburger was on the run when he was arrested Friday.

Online court records show he was declared a fugitive and a bench warrant was issued Feb. 25 when Shamburger failed to report as required under parole conditions imposed following his September guilty plea to drug charges.

Randy Griffith is a reporter for The Tribune-Democrat. Follow him on Twitter at