NANTY GLO —
A large, detached garage near a private residence was destroyed by fire Tuesday night in the 100 block of Adams Crossing Road in Blacklick Township.
A pickup truck, a SUV and a tractor parked in the garage along with a workshop and tools also were destroyed in the fire, Nanty Glo Fire Chief Joe LaMantia Jr. said.
The cause of the fire was listed as a malfunction in a coal and wood furnace which was used to heat not only the garage by also the nearby residence through underground lines, the chief said.
The residence, located approximately 100 feet away, was not damaged by the fire, he said. Although he did not have an estimate on the amount of the loss, he said that the owner indicated that there is insurance coverage. The name of the owner was not immediately available.
Nanty Glo firefighters were assisted by volunteers from both the Colver and Nicktown fire companies.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.