The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

February 22, 2014

Watt scores hat trick as Tomahawks triumph

By Haylie Homway

JOHNSTOWN — A puck to the face can’t stop Jordan Watt from stacking on to his current goal-scoring tear.

He showed that Friday night. 

Watt, who scored a hat trick in last Saturday’s win over Michigan, repeated the feat on Friday helping the Johnstown Tomahawks come from behind to clip the Wenatchee Wild at Cambria County War Memorial Arena.

The 20-year-old forward who received stitches earlier in the week from taking a puck to the face during practice, has scored a total of seven goals in the past three games.

"I don't know what's going on right now, but I'll take it,” Watt said. “I don't mind it."

The Tomahawks also continued their hot play, extending their winning streak to five games.

The Tomahawks got a quick jump on the Wild early in the first period with a 2-on-1 situation leading to a goal by Watt, assisted by Zach Wallace and Brandon Reinholtz.

Unfortunately, Johnstown’s lead did not stand for long.

Five minutes after the Johnstown goal, Wenatchee evened up the score as Brandon Schrader’s blue-line shot snuck through Alex Okicki’s five-hole into the goal.

Afterward, the Wild continued on to take the lead with a power-play goal by Parker Tuomie on the backhand with an assist from Brendan Harris.

As the period turned scrappy, with roughing and delay of game calls penalizing both teams, Johnstown found trouble generating offense and keeping possession of the puck into the end of the first. Wenatchee took advantage of the situation.

The Wild struck again with a little over 3 minutes left in the first period as Tuomie gained his second of the night on a swift top-shelf wrist shot to broaden the lead ito 3-1.

The lackluster play from Tomahawks during the first period wore off in the second.  

The team was finally granted its first power-play chance during the middle period. Soon after, Wenatchee took another penalty and one minute into that power-play, Watt netted his second, a rebound off of Wild goaltender Chase Perry’s pads, to make it 3-2.

"We had to regroup and take the body,” Watt said. “Just go back to the basics and put in a lot of hard work."

At the start of the third period, Okicki came up with big saves to keep the Tomahawks in the game. Johnstown’s offensive play also caught fire, creating plays and giving them more scoring chances than in previous periods.

Watt was robbed of a hat trick early in the period by Perry but he did get it with 13:34 remaining to tie the game.

The game took a turn in favor for the home team in the last 8 minutes of the game with Joe Drabin sliding in to score the Tomahawks’ fourth goal of the night and to take back the lead.

Wenatchee has been outscored by their opponents 52-41 in the third period this season.

When asked on what the team needed to bring to try to win again tomorrow night Watt replied: "Exactly what we did back in the third period. We worked really hard and I'm really looking forward to making the big push into the playoffs."

The Tomahawks face the Wild again at 7 p.m. tonight.