Crushers ousted in AA boys
A second-half goal by Kevin Tomkowski was Bishop McCort’s lone marker as it fell to Greensburg Central Catholic 2-1 in a
Class A state tournament game at Richland High School.
Bishop McCort, champion of District 6, ends its season at 13-5-2.
“This isn’t the outcome we wanted, but these guys played with heart and they wanted to win,” Bishop McCort coach Ron Spinelli said of his squad’s effort.
Goal scoring information for Greensburg Central Catholic
(16-5-1) was not reported.
SOMERSET – A pair of goals from Mario Ortega led the way for Biglerville as it topped Windber 3-0 at Somerset Area High School in a PIAA Class A first-round clash.
The Canners also received a goal from Carlos Esquivias in the victory. Biglerville advances to face Greensburg Central Catholic on Saturday.
Bedford gets past Mars
LOYSBURG – Lalo Munoz and Vaughn Robison each scored goals for Bedford as the Bisons blanked Mars 2-0 at Northern Bedford County High School.
The Bisons (20-1) will face Harbor Creek, which topped Belle Vernon 2-0 at Fairview.
Hopewell going to quarterfinal
EBENSBURG – District 7 runner-up Hopewell advanced to Saturday’s quarterfinal of the PIAA Class AA volleyball tournament by sweeping District 6 champion Penn Cambria 25-20, 25-18, 25-13 at Central Cambria High School.
The Vikings will face Fort LeBeouf on Saturday.
- Penguins edge out Blue Jackets in bounce-back win
- Steelers’ playoff hopes all but gone
- Steelers lose grip of fourth-quarter lead
- CORY ISENBERG| Tourney maintains tradition
- Bylsma: Orpik concussed after incident in Boston
- PSU staves off Georgetown
- Bruins battle past Penguins
- Steelers looking to move past Thanksgiving loss, sideline gaffe
- UPJ shows well in PSAC wrestling tournament
- Woodley ready to return after missing past three weeks
- More Sports Headlines