BY RUTH RICE
Batons will twirl with skill and gracefulness when the 44th annual Cambria County Majorette Contest takes place Saturday at Windber Area High School, 2301 Graham Ave.
As last year’s winners, Windber majorettes are hosting the contest, which begins at 4 p.m.
Doors open at 3.
Twirlers will go through their moves in a series of practice rounds in the morning as they declare their twirling time to judges, said Karen Barrick, a volunteer assistant with Windber.
Participating high schools are Altoona, Bald Eagle, Belle Vernon, Blairsville, Conemaugh Valley, Forest Hills, Hollidaysburg, Penns Manor, Saltsburg, Tussey Mountain and United.
The competition will start with a Miss Majorette contest.
“A representative from each unit competes in a 24-count routine,” Barrick said.
“They’re judged on poise and twirling. There are two titles, junior and senior high. It’s a sought-after title.”
Next will be a round of junior high competition, followed by a round of senior high competition and intermission.
After intermission, the top five scorers compete in a second round to determine placement.
What: 44th annual Cambria County Majorette Contest.
When: 4 p.m. Saturday.
Where: Windber Area High School, 2301 Graham Ave.
Cost: $5 at the door.
BY RUTH RICE
- What's Happening
Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight
People yearning to become successful filmmakers have an opportunity to showcase their talents during the seventh annual Johnstown Film Festival. Johnstown Area Heritage Association’s festival will be held tonight through Saturday (June 6-9) and will feature a mix of film shorts – documentaries, experimental films, narratives and comedies.
- There's lots of holiday happenings
- Model-train enthusiasts setting up annual display at retirement community
- Holiday celebration | St. Nicholas Feast will highlight Wintergarden at Grand Halle
- Welcoming the holidays | Johnstown’s Light-Up Night, Hometown Christmas Parade set for Friday in the downtown
- Kids Onstage bringing ‘Annie’ to Westmont Hilltop High School
- Look what's happening this weekend
- Look who is coming to downtown Johnstown
- ‘It will be like an artists’ boutique’ | Mixed-media exhibition opens Friday at Art Works
- Mozart's music | Johnstown Symphony’s ‘A Night With Amadeus’ to feature its chorus, vocal soloists
- More What's Happening Headlines
- Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight