BY TED POTTS
The Thunder Slam Monster Trucks Motorsport Spectacular will blast into Johnstown for shows Jan. 9 and 10 at the Cambria County War Memorial Arena.
Showtimes both days are 7:30 p.m., with doors opening at 6. The arena is located at 326 Napoleon St.
The show will feature the legendary “Big Foot” monster truck, said Ron Woodbridge, chief operating officer for AMP Live Events in Scottsdale, Ariz.
AMP is the show promoter.
“ ‘Big Foot’ was the original monster truck 35 years ago,” Woodbridge said.
That truck was part of a stable of original monsters based in St. Louis, he said.
The “Big Foot” coming to Johnstown is an up-to-date version of the original.
It is one of the top-of-the-line monster trucks today and has more power than the first “Big Foot,” Woodbridge said.
It is blue in color, he said.
Four other monster trucks will join “Big Foot” at the arena, he said.
The monsters will be crushing cars “like bugs,” Woodbridge said.
They also will compete in side-by-side drag racing, doing giant power wheelies, pulling off huge power donuts and competing in a “winner takes all” freestyle competition.
The show’s super finale will feature the monster trucks crushing a pyramid of cars and vans.
Both shows also will feature a superbike-street bike stunt show and motocross racing.
Bike riders will compete for prizes doing stunts, among which will be front- and rear-wheel stands and power donuts.
Local racers are invited to participate in the motocross racing, Woodbridge said.
They can get entry forms at www.AMPLiveEvents.com or pick up forms on show nights at the arena, he said.
Those entering at the arena are to report to the pit gate at 5 p.m. Cash and other prizes will be awarded, Woodbridge said.
BY TED POTTS
- What's Happening
Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight
People yearning to become successful filmmakers have an opportunity to showcase their talents during the seventh annual Johnstown Film Festival. Johnstown Area Heritage Association’s festival will be held tonight through Saturday (June 6-9) and will feature a mix of film shorts – documentaries, experimental films, narratives and comedies.
- There's lots of holiday happenings
- Model-train enthusiasts setting up annual display at retirement community
- Holiday celebration | St. Nicholas Feast will highlight Wintergarden at Grand Halle
- Welcoming the holidays | Johnstown’s Light-Up Night, Hometown Christmas Parade set for Friday in the downtown
- Kids Onstage bringing ‘Annie’ to Westmont Hilltop High School
- Look what's happening this weekend
- Look who is coming to downtown Johnstown
- ‘It will be like an artists’ boutique’ | Mixed-media exhibition opens Friday at Art Works
- Mozart's music | Johnstown Symphony’s ‘A Night With Amadeus’ to feature its chorus, vocal soloists
- More What's Happening Headlines
- Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight