BY RUTH RICE
Summer camps at area colleges and learning centers will keep kids active and interested until school begins again.
On the Pitt-Johnstown campus in Richland Township, three camps are scheduled: A Junior Naturalist Outdoor Adventure Camp will be held from June 22-26; LEARN Camp: Where College is for Kids will be held July 13-17; and SummerFun 2009 will be held from July 20 to Aug. 15.
An Academy of Engineering will be offered July 20 through Aug. 7 and an Earth Globe Science Camp will be held Aug. 10-14, both in partnership with The Learning Lamp.
Jeanne Susko, director of Community Education and Outreach at Pitt-Johnstown, said registration for all camps will be accepted as long as there are vacancies.
“Registrations are being taken now,” Susko said. “These camps have always been popular, and I think with families taking ‘staycations,’ parents will be looking toward putting money into a class or camp.
“They can drop off their kids and know they’re being taken care of in a safe environment,” she said.
For information, go to www.upj.pitt.edu and click on outreach office, then Rock Your Summer.
Summer camps for children ages 6 to 12 will range from sports to the arts at St. Francis University in Loretto.
Sports camps will begin June 9 and feature basketball, soccer, volleyball, swimming and golf. Kid’s College classes will begin June 16 and topics will be music, dance, art, writing, robotics and science.
Deb Stohon, program specialist in the continuing education office, said the robotics and golf camps have been popular.
“We’ve been amazed at how many we’ve gotten for the acting and musical theater classes,” Stohon said. “Kids are really interested.”
Registrations for all camps will be taken up to June 12, she said.
For a complete listing of camps, go to www.francis.edu/summeropportunities.htm and click on children’s camps.
BY RUTH RICE
- What's Happening
Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight
People yearning to become successful filmmakers have an opportunity to showcase their talents during the seventh annual Johnstown Film Festival. Johnstown Area Heritage Association’s festival will be held tonight through Saturday (June 6-9) and will feature a mix of film shorts – documentaries, experimental films, narratives and comedies.
- There's lots of holiday happenings
- Model-train enthusiasts setting up annual display at retirement community
- Holiday celebration | St. Nicholas Feast will highlight Wintergarden at Grand Halle
- Welcoming the holidays | Johnstown’s Light-Up Night, Hometown Christmas Parade set for Friday in the downtown
- Kids Onstage bringing ‘Annie’ to Westmont Hilltop High School
- Look what's happening this weekend
- Look who is coming to downtown Johnstown
- ‘It will be like an artists’ boutique’ | Mixed-media exhibition opens Friday at Art Works
- Mozart's music | Johnstown Symphony’s ‘A Night With Amadeus’ to feature its chorus, vocal soloists
- More What's Happening Headlines
- Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight