By TOM LAVIS
Brad Greer feels fortunate that he was selected to be part of a national road tour of an award-winning, off-Broadway production.
Greer, 22, portrays a member of a fictitious Christian boy-band in the musical comedy “Altar Boyz.”
The show will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 14 at Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center, 450 Schoolhouse Road, Pitt-Johnstown, Richland Township.
Greer, a Georgia native, graduated in May from the University of the Arts in Philadelphia with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts, and he is putting it to good use.
“I feel very blessed to be part of this,” he said.
“I was an understudy in a production of ‘Altar Boyz’ back in January in Media, Pa., and it feels a little surreal that I’m now in a national touring company of the same show.”
Greer portrays one of five small-town boys, members of a band, who are looking for their big break in New York City.
“We portray wholesome, God-loving guys who want to cleanse the souls of everyone we come in contact with across the U.S. during our tour,” Greer said.
“There are a lot of shenanigans and bumps in the road with a lot of funny results.”
The pious pop act worked wonders on the Ohio bingo hall and pancake breakfast circuit.
Then, when fate brings them to New York, the Boyz take a bite out of the forbidden apple.
Michael Bodolosky, arts center executive director, said the audience will be inspired by this production.
“It’s hilarious holiness,” he said.
“We are delighted to offer this pop-musical show that will keep people laughing.”
Greer portrays Mark.
“Mark is the sensitive one in the group,” Greer said.
Other characters are lead singer Matthew, the pretty boy and leader of the pack; Luke, a bad boy with an interest in communion wine; Juan, a hot-blooded crooner with a passion for pretty girls; and Abraham, a nice Jewish boy, who’s not quite sure how he ended up in a Christian band.
By TOM LAVIS
- What's Happening
Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight
People yearning to become successful filmmakers have an opportunity to showcase their talents during the seventh annual Johnstown Film Festival. Johnstown Area Heritage Association’s festival will be held tonight through Saturday (June 6-9) and will feature a mix of film shorts – documentaries, experimental films, narratives and comedies.
- There's lots of holiday happenings
- Model-train enthusiasts setting up annual display at retirement community
- Holiday celebration | St. Nicholas Feast will highlight Wintergarden at Grand Halle
- Welcoming the holidays | Johnstown’s Light-Up Night, Hometown Christmas Parade set for Friday in the downtown
- Kids Onstage bringing ‘Annie’ to Westmont Hilltop High School
- Look what's happening this weekend
- Look who is coming to downtown Johnstown
- ‘It will be like an artists’ boutique’ | Mixed-media exhibition opens Friday at Art Works
- Mozart's music | Johnstown Symphony’s ‘A Night With Amadeus’ to feature its chorus, vocal soloists
- More What's Happening Headlines
- Captured on film | Annual Johnstown movie festival kicks off tonight