The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

Homepage

January 7, 2014

Two Richland residents taken to hospital for possible carbon monoxide poisoning

JOHNSTOWN — Two people were taken to the hospital for potential carbon monoxide poisoning after emergency responders were summoned to a Richland Township home this morning.

“We’re not sure if that’s what the problem is with the patients, but we did have high levels of carbon monoxide in the residence,” Richland fire Chief Todd Shaffer said. “We evacuated two patients and a family dog. The family dog was taken to Richland Veterinary and the two residents were taken to Conemaugh (Memorial Medical Center).”

Shaffer did not have information on the condition of the residents, whose names were not released, but he did not deny a report that a man passed out once he got outside of the Chrysler Avenue home.

“When we were bringing the one victim out, he was unstable,” Shaffer said. “He was unstable and we had to help him to the ambulance.”

Emergency responders were called to a home in Upper Yoder Township earlier in the morning for another potential carbon monoxide problem. Fire officials warned that portable heaters, which many local residents are using on a day when temperatures in the region were as low as 15 degrees below zero, can lead to carbon monoxide issues. Residents are urged to use a meter that can warn of dangerous carbon monoxide levels.

Eric Knopsnyder is the editor of The Tribune-Democrat. Follow him on Twitter at https://twitter.com/eric_knopsnyder.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Tribune-Democrat News Slideshow
Latest News
Local News

Sports
Features
Multimedia
Featured Ads
Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Front page
Front page
Poll

What is the biggest key to reducing gun violence in Johnstown?

Tackling the area's drug problem.
Controlling folks moving into city housing.
Monitoring folks in treatment centers and halfway houses.
Tougher sentencing by the court system.
More police on the streets.

     View Results
House Ads
Order Photos


Photo Slideshow