The days are numbered for more than a dozen vacant and blighted homes in the region, as bids for demolition work were accepted Wednesday by the Cambria County Redevelopment Authority.
Two contractors were chosen to fulfill two tear-down contracts - one for homes with asbestos and one for homes without. Larry Custer, the authority’s executive director, said he chose to separate the contracts because of hazardous material requirements when contractors deal with the known carcinogen.
“That takes special demolition, special abatement and removal,” he said.
The eight structures with asbestos set for demolition are in Lower Yoder Township, Northern Cambria Borough and Cresson Township, he said. The authority accepted a $71,614 bid from Altoona Contracting for the work. There were a total of six bids for the contract.
Ten structures that do not contain asbestos will be razed by Earthmovers Unlimited, of Kylertown, for the lowest bid amount of $67,213. The homes are in Gallitzin Borough, the city of Johnstown and Dale Borough. Five bids were submitted, Custer said.
Both demolition contracts have yet to be awarded.
The authority awarded three contracts earlier this month, to continue work on the Cambria County homeless shelter in Dale Borough. A $228,600 general contract work deal was given to SR&G Construction Co. Plumbing and mechanical work will be handled by K&K Plumbing Co. Inc. for $91,000. Robert K. Orris Electrical was given the electrical system contract for $44,612.
Those three contractors are all from Johnstown, Custer said.
The shelter is currently scheduled to open around the Thanksgiving holiday.
In other matters, the authority’s financial compliance report for 2013, drafted by Barnes, Saly & Company LLP, was presented at the Wednesday meeting. There were no unusual findings, Custer said.
Justin Dennis covers the Cambria County Redevelopment Authority for The Tribune-Democrat. Follow him on Twitter at @JustinDennis.